Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Headlines & Hotlinks Part 1

Personal note: I'm having a "remote linking" problem and some of my documents including the snapshots and the revision cannot be linked. For your convenience, I've listed the actual link. Hope this alleviates any confusion. Thanks for your patience!

Poor Headlines

Find three examples online of poor headlines used as links and provide their solutions. I found all three headlines on my alma mater's online newspaper, The East Carolinian. The headlines are not what I consider horrible per se, but they do need some work.

Headline 1
Original: The ECU College of Education
This headline is vague and begins with the. The article is actually about the shortage of NC teachers and increased enrollment in the Ed program.

Better: College of Education Continues to Grow

Headline 2
Original: Former prime minister killed in explosion in central Beirut
The headline is a bit long for my taste, and his name is certainly more important than where he died.

Better: Former prime minister Hariri killed in explosion

Headline 3
Original: People, please shut up when you are in the theater watching a movie
Though this article is what we call a "pirate rant," the headline doesn't have to be a speech. I'd prefer something with a little less tone and a little more class.

Better: Movie Theatre Etiquette (or) Movie Manners

Paragraphs vs. Lists

Find one article on the Web that could be improved with the use of lists. Submit before and after version. Five Ways to Speed Up Your PC by Jim Edwards would benefit from a numbered list and separation of steps. Edwards had headings but instead of using numbers, he used tildes; for example: ~Buy More RAM~. I inserted numbers 1-5 and separated sequential steps with carats as shown in my revision (www.angelfire.com/alt/english4/Edwardsrev.doc).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home