Friday, November 05, 2004

EOTO Response #2

Cell Yell Steven Anthony Views from the Pen

Steven vents about the controversial issue of CELL YELL! He makes some great points, and I laughed out loud a number of times. His references to musical ringtones were just too much. Have you really ever heard anyone's phone erupt into a shortened rendition of Skynyrds's Free Bird? haha. Seriously though, it is a technology issue that should be addressed. I (being a cell phone user myself) can see where Steven is coming from; however, I agree that the problem will probably get worse before it gets better.

Where I disagree with Steven is when he discusses "eavesdroppers." He suggests that people rudely listen in on cell phone conversations, albeit one-sided. How is that any worse than people-watching? We all do it. It's free entertainment. I'm an instructor--I have great ears--I hear/listen in on conversations all the time. I don't think it's rude at all. If a person doesn't want to be heard, they should whisper, write a note, or go elsewhere to converse. I'm not going to wear earplugs so that people can have conversations in public. The lack of privacy is a choice cell phone users make.

Steven's first two solutions do not really seem all that plausible to me a)cell zones b)larger cell phones. His third solution, however, is a given. People need to have manners and consider others. Cell users need to put thier phones on vibrate when they are in restaurants and such. And if they MUST talk in public, then they should keep thier voices at reasonable levels. I think that would really help the "epidemic of unkindness." Before concluding, let me also add that Steven's fear #5--that cell phones could replace house phones--it is a legit fear. I no longer have a residential line. My cell phone is never far from me.

Steven's sources were good. Here are a few more:

Cell Phone or Electronic Tether?

Cell Phone Manners Vary Regionally

The Politesse of Cell Phone Manners


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home